Household Chemicals Pose a Significant Threat to the Health and Safety of Families, Particularly to Children.
We all need to realize how many chemicals we expose ourselves and our families to every day, and take steps to create a healthier environment in our homes.
CONSIDER THESE FACTS:
- The Average American Uses about 25 Gallons of toxic, hazardous chemical products per year in their home… A major portion of these can be found in household cleaning products.
- More than 32 million pounds of household cleaning products are poured down the drain each day nationwide. Sewage treatment plants do not adequately remove the toxic substances found in many of their sites.
- Within 26 seconds after exposure to chemicals such as cleaning products , traces of these chemicals can be found in every organ in the body.
- Petrochemical cleaning products in the home are easily absorbed into the skin. Once absorbed, the toxins travel to the blood stream and are deposited in the fatty tissues where they may exist indefinitely.
- At any given time, there is 3.36 million tons of household hazardous waste to contend with in our country.
- According to the National Research Council, no toxic information is available for more than 80% of the chemicals in everyday-use products. Only 1% of toxins are required to be listed on labels, because companies classify their formulas as “trade secrets.”
- The toxic chemicals in household cleaners are three times more likely to cause cancer than air pollution.
CHEC (Children’s Health Environmental Coalition)
North American Hazardous Materials Management Association